It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:28 am

Jaguar Telephone

If you are not a member of the XKEC but want to view examples of previous advice then please view here. Pleae note however that this is open to the public for viewing only.

Moderators: mistral_blue, Scottish-Exile, JJ, Claretblue, Karen Gregory, The Guv'nor, Robocop

Jaguar Telephone

Postby crozzo » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:40 am

Hi,

I am about to purchase an XK8.

One thing I was curious about, although it may seem a trivial matter, is how useful is the Jaguar installed telephone?

It seems to me that the phone is a bit dated, with curly cord etc. Do other members actually use it or is it better to get a bluetooth kit installed?

Can the compartment be converted to use it for antyhing else - I am very partial to travel sweets!

For those who do use the phone - do you need a separate or duplicate SIM card in the phone if you already have a modern mobly? Is the Jaguar phone SIM locked to any particular network?

Any advice / tips would be most helpful.

Thanks in advance

Crozzo
crozzo

Postby Aeroresh » Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:43 pm

My understanding is that the curly cord phone is just for private calls if you want them. In normal operation its all done with voice activation /button on the dash and total hands free.

Just insert your SIM into the phone and you're away. :)

Ultimately not as good as a Bluetooth because you have to faff around withs SIMs but it is a good system.
Aeroresh

Re: Jaguar Telephone

Postby Rob » Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:30 pm

crozzo wrote:

For those who do use the phone - do you need a separate or duplicate SIM card in the phone if you already have a modern mobly? Is the Jaguar phone SIM locked to any particular network?

Any advice / tips would be most helpful.

Thanks in advance

Crozzo

Yes you need a separate SIM, but its not locked to any particular network (at least mine wasn't)- I bought an Orange SIM for £5 for mine and does work quite well handsfree.

cars from 2003 onwards can be updated by Jaguar to Bluetooth - but I think it costs about £400

alternatively you can buy aftermarket Bluetooth kits - such as the Parrot system, but then they won't be integrated into your display and wheel controls.
Rob

Postby Del Boy » Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:39 pm

Rob said:- "Yes you need a separate SIM, but its not locked to any particular network (at least mine wasn't)- I bought an Orange SIM for £5 for mine and does work quite well hands-free.
.........................................................................................................
So let me get this right..

My 98 XKR came complete with the jaguar phone kit in the center arm rest,
But No Phone :-(

So if I could get a phone .

Could I then get a spare Sim card for my Nokia 6688 on the 3 network

Put it in the phone, put the phone in the cradle and use it whilst driving (Hands-free) :?: :)
Del Boy

Postby Gazzer » Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:16 pm

Del, I'm not 100% sure, but the answer would be no. The reason I say this is because you can only have had the phone as a factory fit option, it could never be done retrospectively at a Dealer. So to answer your question, your car would not have the wiring unless Jaguar built it specifically to have one as an ordered option.

If you do have a Jag phone, unfortunately you cannot buy duplicate SIM cards for the same number. Best thing to do is buy a pay-as-you go SIM card to put in the jag phone and then put your mobile on Divert to the Jag phone number. thats what I did and it works a treat.

G
Gazzer

Postby Anders D » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:06 pm

Gazzer wrote:... unfortunately you cannot buy duplicate SIM cards for the same number. G

Cheers G!

In Sweden you can! Should be possible in UK to! However you cant use them at the same time thou!
Anders Dyson
Chairman of Swedish Jaguar Club
Anders D
Overseas Representative
Overseas Representative

Postby Del Boy » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:09 pm

G my phone is a jaguar phone,

When i say it did not come with a "phone" what I meant to say, was that the previous owner kept the hand set,

The cradle and all fitting are still in the center arm rest..

Therefore if i could get hold of the right phone, could I not insert my sim card as stated in the first reply ?

Derek
Del Boy

Postby Anders D » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:12 pm

Del Boy wrote:G my phone is a jaguar phone,

When i say it did not come with a "phone" what I meant to say, was that the previous owner kept the hand set,

The cradle and all fitting are still in the center arm rest..

Therefore if i could get hold of the right phone, could I not insert my sim card as stated in the first reply ?

Derek

Yes Derek!
Anders Dyson
Anders D
Overseas Representative
Overseas Representative

Postby Dave Goldie » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:13 pm

I do exactly what Gazzer does only with O2. However I do believe that Vodaphone DO have a dual SIM card facility, ie two cards for the same number.

Once the car phone is working it is an excellent facility. Once you select 'Phone' on your steering wheel the car radio becomes the phone. You can step through your address book using the up and down arrows with the name and numbers displayed on the led display of the radio. Once connected you use the radio volume buttons to alter the volume of the phone call.
Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!
Dave Goldie
Growler
Growler

Postby Anders D » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:19 pm

Here you got some alternatives:

http://xkec.co.uk/xkforum/viewtopic.php?t=2111
Anders Dyson
Anders D
Overseas Representative
Overseas Representative

Postby Del Boy » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:52 pm

Looking at the "In-Car Telephone" jjm 10 31 18/90 manual That also came with the car,

I see that it takes a Star TAC phone, and on page 5 "Sim card insertion" the sim card looks as big as the phone :cry:

So do i take it that this was the old type sim card, and I would need the card adapter for the new type small sim cards :)

Where is the best place to find a Star TAC phone :?: eBay :?:
Del Boy

Postby Gazzer » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:57 pm

Del, the answer would be yes to both your q's if that is the case. Or look for a Breakers yard and rip it out.

maybe jag didn't change the wiring when changing the phones, you maybe able to get the newer jag phone and connect that up. that way you wouldn't need a SIM adapter (if there is such a thing)

G
Gazzer

Postby alan jan-janin » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:09 pm

Del

I've been through this.

The manual for the StarTac 130 is misleading - the SIM card is not credit card sized!

Look for a small standard SIM sized 'drawer' on the side of the phone, that is where my card goes :shock: BTW ebay do have them from time to time... :)
alan jan-janin
Top Gear Stig Of Posts
Top Gear Stig Of Posts

Postby Del Boy » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:37 pm

I found one a New Jaguar StarTac 130 for the 1998/2000 XJ8/R XK8/R or S type

He say,s that the standard startac 130 would not work with the Jaguar Hands-free :?:

But asking £199 = P&p :cry:

What would be a fair price :?:
Del Boy

Postby P700DEE » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:47 am

Phones for a Jaguar need the special Jaguar software to get all the functions working. It is possible to use the same model of phone and get basic functions (sorry do not know what does and doesn't work). Note if you have the Motorola 8700 Jaguar phones (as fitted on my 98) these are only compatible with Vodaphone and O2 (single band) and will not work with Orange. Vodaphone certainly offer dual SIM operation, the previous owner of my car certainly used this function.
Watch e-bay, phones come up all the time. You can search for previously closed auctions to see what prices they reach. £199 should get you a brand new replacement phone with the install kit. However for that price you should also be able to get a decent Bluetooth installation that will avoid the SIM issue.
P700DEE
Growler
Growler

Next

Return to Non-Member Posting Area