It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:57 am

driver door seal

If you are not a member of the XKEC but want to view examples of previous advice then please view here. Pleae note however that this is open to the public for viewing only.

Moderators: mistral_blue, Scottish-Exile, JJ, Claretblue, Karen Gregory, The Guv'nor, Robocop

driver door seal

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:18 pm

Hi is there a problem with the door seals, ive just bought a 2001 XK8 and found the carpet is wet. it looks like its coming down from the door seal.
Cheers Brian

Postby P700DEE » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:03 pm

There is not a common fault with the door seals although this does not mean that yours are not the problem. Often however water in the footwell is a leak in the heater matrix. Is the water coloured at all ? Sticky ? if so heater matrix :cry: Can you get the door seals to leak by pouring water on the car ? If so check the drain holes under the bonnet (hood if outside UK), could just be a blockage.
P700DEE
Growler
Growler

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:32 pm

Hi P700DEE
UK car and when i open the door its wet on the side of the dash agaisnt the door, if you follow what i mean, also the bottom edge on the door sill where the material is wet.
Cheers Brian.
PS i am now a member just waiting for my log in.

Postby GrandTourer » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:13 pm

Hi Brian, welcome to the forum.
Although, I have not experienced it, I could imagine that is has to do with the door seal. Does it in any way look damaged?
Do you notice it after a car wash or driving in the rain? I guess you'll have to work by a process of elimination.
Sorry I can't be more specific :smt017
Karl, XK8Coupe, MY00, Pacific Blue
GrandTourer
Growler
Growler

Postby Sharfrs2 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:20 pm

Hi Brian

Damage can be caused to the door seal if the windows don't drop down when you open the door, which can happen. Best check the seal for damage as mentioned by GT et al.
Dave

Remember those that gave their todays for your tomorrows.
Sharfrs2
Top Gear Stig Of Posts
Top Gear Stig Of Posts

Postby cheshire_cat » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:31 pm

Hi Brian

Welcome to the forum :smt039

Is yours a coupe or convertible?

I have a convertible and I have noticed there is always a drip down the outside of the front windows which seems to be from where there is a fold point in the roof. Very occasionally I have had a couple of drips (of water) inside, but nothing major.

As the others have said, check the seals, check that the windows go up properly and if yours is a convertible, check the roof for any signs of damage.

Cheers

Cheshire_Cat
cheshire_cat

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:13 am

Hi all thanks for the welcome.
I have check the door seal and if i pull it off from the frame opposite the dash the inside of the seal is wet going back up the the door frame, cant see where the water can come from.
I Have a Silver 2001 XK8 coupe, Think i got a bargain as i have been looking for a while and got this 51 plate for £14000 Mileage is 82000 but has full jag service history and all the bills from day one. I will only do at best 3000 miles a year in it so will be back down to averidge miles soon.
Cheers Brian.
PS still have a problem logging in as a member, hope to get that fixed soon.

Postby The Guv'nor » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:11 pm

email me at mark.gregory@xkec.co.uk with your login details and I will see what the problem is?
IF YOU WANT SOMETHING IN LIFE, THEN GO FOR IT - LIFE'S TOO SHORT
The Guv'nor
Club Chairman
Club Chairman

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:11 pm

A bargain price and a lovely colour too! They normally go for £ 17500-£22,000 depending on mileage/condition. Is it possible that it is a poorly aligned door due to an accident repair? Mismatching wooden dash panels will indicate that the air bags have gone off in a smash and have been replaced due to damage. Do you have the same door seal as the pic or has it been removed/left off after a repair? A and B show a channel arrangement in the rubber seal.

Postby Klapka » Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:21 pm

Hi there .. have taken a pic of mine and it looks a little different as you can see .. hope this helps in some way

Klapka
Top Gear Stig Of Posts
Top Gear Stig Of Posts

Postby Keith W » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:38 pm

The pic of the silver car is my post by the way just to clear up any confusion.

Keith Wheatley ( used to be New Boy but as I have had the car for a few weeks, I can't really call myself that any more!)
Keith W

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:08 pm

Hi Brian again.
Right the pic of the seal looks the same as mine, at point A on the pic there is a fixing button shown for the seal, is the seal glued behind this point as i think the roof channel puts water on the seal at this point and i can pull my door seal away from the body work, so i think the water is getting behind the seal here. Could i just use silicon clear sealent to cure it.
By the way the car has had no accident repairs every done to it.
Cheers Brian

Postby keithwheatley » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:29 pm

the very top bit of the seal, to the right of the button and under the wing is not stuck down but the rest is on mine.
keithwheatley

Postby Silver fox » Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:57 pm

Hi I have used some silicon sealent behind the seal and this seams to have fixed it, Tested with a hose pipe. So wait and see now,priced up a new door seal £154 in Lincoln my nearest Jag dealer.
Heres looking forward to happy dry days.
Brian
Silver fox

Postby keith wheatley » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:01 am

Well done! Looks like you can test it thoroughly today with this weather! worth joining up for all the help you can get isn't it.
keith wheatley

Next

Return to Non-Member Posting Area